The field of project management is embraced by organizations everywhere as both “strategic” and operationally “necessary”. This emerged both before and during the recent global economic contraction of 2008-2010.
This growing demand for project management has spawned a great increase in the need for project management education, certification and training. Several considerations have driven this:
- The recognition and use of modern project management have spread globally, promoting more accountability for spending by corporates and governments in both mature and developing economies.
- The field of “Project management” has expanded and re-branded itself to include program management and project portfolio management. This arena has also been presented as strategic project management by some and enterprise project management by others.
- Other broad organizational and business management concepts and topics include project-based and project-oriented organizations, management by projects, project and program management offices.
- In developing economies, international aid and investment are primarily via programs and projects.
- The increasing use, visibility, and popularity of program and project management have followed increased programs and projects in more organizations and industries worldwide.
The education requirement in Ireland has become a lot more crystalised as the country enters its fourth year of austerity. The market focus is on programmes delivered by proven experts with established track records for excellence that offer internationally recognised accreditation. When investing in education and training, individuals and organisations want to be sure that the resulting credentials acquired are transportable and globally recognised. Furthermore, they wish to be able to demonstrate application and not just the acquisition of knowledge. The Institute of Project Management offers just that. A diverse repertoire of courses that the Institute provides results in different certifications, all globally recognised.
The widespread promotion and popularity of project management certifications offered by IPMA, PMI and the OGC (UK government) have led to a huge demand for PM training aimed at helping prepare candidates for those examinations and qualifications. This market is led in Ireland by IPMA certified professionals with almost 2,500 planned by year-end 2011.